Yum

Wednesday, February 1, 2017

Lemon Scones






I love scones. Don't you?


They're the perfect accompaniment to a great cup of coffee or tea.


But sometimes, scones can be a little dry. This recipe, however....is not. In fact, my husband commented that these were fluffier and not as dense as scones he's had in the past. I was happy to hear that because that's what I was going for: a "scone" that was a little different than most. :)


In other news: I just love this slate cheese board (above). It was a Christmas gift from my sweet sister-in-law and I've been waiting for the perfect moment to use it. Yes, it's a cheese board and no, this is not a cheese recipe. But, I think the scones look great on it.



I've come to the conclusion that we don't need an excuse to enjoy lemon scones. It's ok to treat ourselves to fluffy, lemony goodness whenever and wherever we wish. So, go ahead! Toss that scone guilt to the wind and share some lemony scone love with your family today.

Lemon Scones

Ingredients
2 ¼ c. flour
¾ c. sugar
¾ Tbsp. baking powder
½ tsp. salt
1 c. cold milk
3 Tbsp. prepared lemon curd
1 ½ tsp. lemon extract
½ c. very cold unsalted butter

Glaze
1 c. powdered sugar
2 to 3 tsp. milk (if too thin, add a little more powdered sugar)
1 tsp. lemon extract

Directions
Preheat oven to 400°

Sift flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.

Use the large side of a cheese grater to grate butter.

Add butter to flour mixture and use a pastry blender (or 2 knives used in scissor fashion) to work the butter into the dry ingredients.

Pour milk into a small bowl. Add lemon curd and extract. Whisk until well combined.

Pour into flour mixture and stir well until fully combined.

Spoon dough into scone wedge pan. (You could also use a biscuit cutter if you'd prefer a round scone).

Bake for 22 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool.

When scones are cooled, mix glaze ingredients in small bowl and drizzle over the top.




2 comments:

  1. These look so fluffy and tasty! Not crumbly and dry like a lot of scones tend to be. I'm definitely adding this to my list of things I want to try :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jessica! True, most scones I've tried have sometimes been a little dry and tasteless, but these definitely aren't - I think it might be the addition of lemon curd :) It adds a lot of flavor and a nice moist consistency. I'm so glad you'll be trying this recipe. Thanks so much for your comment. Blessings!

      Delete