Yum

Sunday, January 15, 2017

Quick & Easy Dinner Idea: Chile Relleno Casserole




I remember "helping" my mom make chile rellenos when I was young and for some reason, I've been craving them. Of course, it's been many years since we made them together, and I sort of forgot the process. This casserole version is a somewhat simplified way to achieve that same great flavor without the fuss.

I love the combination of flavors in this dish, and I know you will, too!


Chile Relleno Casserole

Ingredients
2 10oz. cans whole green chilies
8oz. Monterey Jack cheese, grated
8oz. Sharp Cheddar cheese, grated
5 eggs
¾ c. milk (I used 2% reduced fat)
½ c. all-purpose flour
1 tsp. dried oregano
½ tsp. paprika
½ tsp. salt
½ tsp. black pepper

Directions
Preheat oven to 350 °

Lightly grease a baking dish (I used my 10-inch cast iron skillet for this recipe) with a little butter, margarine or cooking spray. Set aside.

Remove chilies from the first can. Use a sharp knife to slice down one side to “butterfly” them. Arrange them evenly across bottom of the baking dish (or skillet).



Sprinkle 1/3 of cheese over the top.



Open the second can of chilies and do the same butterflying them and layering them over the cheese.

Sprinkle ½ of remaining cheese over top of chilies.



Meanwhile, crack eggs into medium bowl.

Add milk, flour, oregano, paprika, salt and pepper.

Use a hand mixer to mix ingredients until well combined.


Pour egg mixture over top of chilies and cheese. Top with remaining cheese and place in preheated oven. Bake 40-45 minutes. Allow to cool slightly before serving.




No comments:

Post a Comment