Yum

Monday, December 5, 2016

Chocolate Pecan Tassies










Many years ago, right after my husband I were first married, I found a recipe in a magazine for a chocolate pecan pie. I made it. Fell in love with it and I have pulled out that same recipe EVERY year since. It's my once-a-year splurge (usually enjoyed with a great cup of coffee at the end of all the festivities on Christmas Day...sort of a punctuation mark to the season). For me, the wonderful aroma of pecans and chocolate getting all snuggly in a buttery pie crust is a sure sign that it's Christmas time. 

I normally make a full-size version of this in my tart pan, but I have reworked the recipe a bit into these delicious bite-sized treats. I love baking mini versions of great recipes (just in case you haven't noticed by now, LOL). 

Chocolate Pecan Tassies

Ingredients
2 prepared pie crusts (9 inch)
6 oz. semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 – 1 ½ c. chopped pecans
½ stick butter (1/4 c)
½ c. light corn syrup
½ c. granulated sugar
2 eggs, beaten
½ tsp. vanilla extract
Cooking spray

(This recipe uses 2 mini muffin pans, a 2-inch round biscuit cutter, a wooden tamping tool and a plastic squirt bottle)

Directions
Preheat oven to 350°

Spray mini muffin pans with cooking spray and set aside.

In small saucepan over low heat, melt butter, corn syrup and sugar. Stir until sugar is dissolved and butter is melted. Remove from heat and set aside to cool for about 10 minutes.

Meanwhile, roll out pie crusts on a lightly floured surface.

Using biscuit cutter, cut out rounds of crust and tamp into place in mini muffin pans. (I actually used a smaller cutter with the batch pictured here, so they came out a little smaller than normal).

Sprinkle about 5-6 chocolate chips into each crust. Sprinkle pecan pieces over top of chocolate chips.

Once sugar mixture has cooled, stir in beaten eggs and vanilla. Pour mixture into plastic squirt bottle (this makes it much easier to control when pouring over pecans).

Carefully pour sugar mixture over pecans and chocolate chips, making sure not to over fill.

Bake 30-33 minutes. Allow to cool before removing from pan.

Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment