Yum

Monday, June 27, 2016

Unstuffed Cabbage Rolls (a little different version)





This recipe was all about using what I had on hand. I wanted to clean out a few leftovers and for some reason, I had a bunch of chicken thighs purchased from the grocery store deli several days ago that would have otherwise gone to waste. Normally, I would have used ground turkey in my unstuffed cabbage rolls, but I decided shredding up the chicken would work just fine. 

I also had some leftover grilled corn on the cob just sitting in the fridge and happened to find a newly-opened jar of marinara sauce, too. I love putting leftovers to good use and finding a purpose for what I have on hand. I already spend PLENTY on groceries, so saving a few dollars here and there always makes me (and my husband) smile! J

Unstuffed Cabbage Rolls (a little different version)

Ingredients
1 ½ c. shredded chicken
½ onion, diced (I used a brown onion)
1 celery stalk, diced small
2 cloves garlic, minced
Cut kernels off 1 ear of grilled corn on the cob
¾ c. cooked brown rice
1 can petite diced tomatoes
½ c. prepared marinara sauce
½ head of small cabbage, chopped
1 ½ tsp. dried thyme
1 tsp. onion powder
2 c. low-sodium chicken broth
About 1 cup of water or more if needed to just cover mixture in pan)
Salt and pepper to taste
1 Tbsp. olive oil

Directions
Heat olive oil in large skillet on stovetop over medium-high heat. Add diced onions and celery. Sprinkle with a little salt. Stir and cook until onions are nearly opaque. Add garlic and cook for another minute or so stirring frequently.

Add shredded chicken, corn and rice. Pour in diced tomatoes and marinara sauce. Sprinkle with thyme and onion powder and stir well. Add chopped cabbage. Pour in chicken broth and water and stir. Add a little more water if necessary (cabbage will absorb water and cook down, so add water if you’d like more of a soupy consistency).

Bring to a boil. Cover and simmer for about an hour or until cabbage is fully cooked. Serve hot.




No comments:

Post a Comment