Yum

Saturday, May 21, 2016

Bacalhau A Bras (my attempt)



My husband has been encouraging me to connect more with my Portuguese roots by making some of the traditional dishes of my heritage. My great-grandfather on my dad’s side came from the Azores. Unfortunately, I know nothing about the culture or about the food.

So, I’ve decided to research what I can online to get a feel for the types of dishes we could expect to find when we do have an opportunity to visit one day.

This dish is called Bacalhau `A Bras. I did change it up just a bit from the traditional version. This is sort of a loose version of a fish omelet with the addition of potatoes. Instead of using just potatoes, I also added a zucchini just to give it some green. Also, since I wasn’t feeding an army, but only a simple lunch for me and my husband, I changed up the measurements. It’s a filling dish, very simple combination of flavors, but it definitely keeps you craving more. Great flavor!

I’m excited to try other Portuguese recipes. If you have a favorite recipe handed down from one generation to the next, you’re welcome to leave a comment and tell me about it. I'd love to try it!

Bacalhau `A Bras

Ingredients
8 oz. white fish (original recipe called for salt cod. I used a combination of cod
 fillet and whiting)
2 russet potatoes, peeled
1 med. Zucchini (optional, not part of the original recipe)
1 ½ Tbsp. canola oil
2 Tbsp. butter
½ yellow onion, sliced thinly
2-3 garlic cloves, minced
2 eggs, beaten
Black olives
Italian parsley
Salt and pepper

Directions
If possible, use a mandolin slicer to slice potatoes in ¼ inch thick slices. Cut each slice into “match sticks.” Do the same with the zucchini slicing into match stick size.

Heat oil in large, deep skillet. Add potatoes and zucchini. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Stir and cook over medium heat until golden, about 8 minutes.

Meanwhile, in separate medium skillet, saute onions and garlic (do not let garlic brown). Add salt and pepper.

Shred fish with your fingers (make sure to remove any remaining bones and skin) and add it to the onions and garlic. Stir and cook until fish is cooked through.

Add fish mixture to potatoes and zucchini. Stir to incorporate all ingredients and finish cooking until slightly golden. Pour beaten eggs over the top and cook a couple more minutes until eggs are done.

Sprinkle with parsley and add a few black olives. Serve hot.









No comments:

Post a Comment