Yum

Monday, November 30, 2015

Leftover Turkey Casserole





Leftover Turkey Casserole

I’ll let you in on a little secret….I’m not a big fan of turkey. There. I said it, LOL. Honestly, dreaming up new ways to use the leftovers not only helps to disguise it, but it also gets it out of my fridge sooner (smiles).

I made a batch of turkey noodle soup a couple days ago and happily dished up the last drops of it this morning for my husband’s lunch.

With the remaining turkey pieces, I made this wonderful-smelling casserole. This is a quick and easy recipe taken from the classic tried and true version. Seriously, whether you love turkey or not, you should make this just because it smells so welcoming and wonderful.






Ingredients:
2 c. diced turkey
2 c. rice, prepared and cooked (you could use whatever rice you like. Since I wanted something quick and easy, I just used plain white)
1 can cream of chicken soup
(1 soup can of) milk
1 Tbsp. butter
1 Tbsp. turkey drippings (optional)
½ medium onion, diced
1 stalk of celery, diced
½ c. red bell pepper, diced
½ c. frozen corn
½ c. frozen peas
 Salt and pepper
¼ tsp. dried sage
¼ tsp. poultry seasoning
Dash of garlic powder
Dash of paprika
French fried onions for top (optional)

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 °.

Melt butter in large skillet over medium heat. Add onions, celery and bell pepper and sauté stirring occasionally until onions are opaque. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Stir in diced turkey and frozen veggies. Sprinkle in sage, poultry seasoning, garlic powder and paprika. Stir to combine. Reduce heat.

Meanwhile, pour cream of chicken soup in small sauce pan over medium heat. Whisk in 1 can of milk and combine well. Reduce heat.

Pour cooked rice over turkey and veggies and stir.

Pour soup mixture over turkey and rice. Stir to combine well.

Pour into a casserole dish (I used a square 9x9). Sprinkle with French fried onions. Bake approximately 30 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment