Yum

Thursday, October 8, 2015

Hearty Lentil Soup with Sausage





























It doesn't take much of a temperature drop to get me thinking about soup. I made this a few nights ago as I reached for my sweater for the first time this season.

I had some Andouille sausage in the fridge that needed to get cooked, so I used it to give this little creation a big boost of flavor. As I mentioned, it's been a few days since I made this, so I may or may not have precise measurements to share here. Please forgive me (smiles).

Lentil Soup with Andouille Sausage

Ingredients:
1/2 small bag of lentils, rinsed
2 lengths of Andouille sausage, diced small
1/2 yellow onion, diced
1 medium carrot, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 celery stalk, diced
1 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. Cajun seasoning
ground black pepper to taste
2 cans low sodium chicken broth
1 Tbsp. Olive oil
1 Tbsp. butter
Fresh Italian parsley

Directions:
Drizzle olive oil in medium soup pot over medium-high heat. Add diced sausage and cook until brown. Remove sausage and drain. Add butter to pot and stir in onion, carrot and celery. Cook until nearly done. Add garlic and continue cooking for a minute more. Do not allow garlic to brown. Reduce heat and add lentils, Cajun seasoning, ground cumin and chicken broth. Mix well. Add a little water if you need more liquid. Bring to a boil. Cover and reduce to simmer for about an hour or until lentils are soft. Stir in a little Italian parsley if desired

I used an immersion blender to thicken mine once the lentils were cooked and tender.

Enjoy!








No comments:

Post a Comment